1420header

Zaya Parties Too Hard

1420-1Maya wants to visit Zig’s new place, but he doesn’t want her to because seeing anything drug/gang related might drive Maya away.  Zig asks Vince and Tiny to stay away for the night and they leave, but they eventually return with a slew of people and host a party.  Vince offers Zig and Maya “Molly,” and while Zig doesn’t want Maya taking it, Maya says they should take it together.  The two get high and end up having sex.  The next day Zig regrets them having gone so far, and tells Maya she’s better off without him.

Vince thinks Zig is overthinking things and offers to take him over to Maya’s to apologize, but they need to make a stop on the way.  While waiting on Vince and Tiny to take care of business, Zig calls Maya and apologizes.  He regrets that they had sex while high, but not that it was with her.  They two make up, but Zig suddenly hears gunshots.  Vince and Tiny rush back to the car and yell at Zig to speed away.

QUICK GRADE: C
QUICK REVIEW: This one is difficult to grade because you have this fantastic concept (the gang plot) wrapped inside a romantic relationship I’m having trouble defining without the use of foul language at the moment.  I’m not exactly sure what happened in the transition from 14A to 14B, but the Tenner square (Zig, Maya, Miles, Zoë) is now a mind-boggling piece of work that’s all over the place.  Maya goes from being the most supportive character on the show to seemingly caring about nothing more than swapping spit with Zig.  In this episode Zig seemed to put Maya on a pedestal; “She’s not that kind of girl,” he tells Vince. “That kind of thing (drugs) is a dealbreaker for girls like Maya,” he tells Tiny.  But do we even know who Maya is anymore?  And after all she’s done to protect him over the course of two seasons, why is Zig not physically carrying the girl he loves out of the house the second Vince whips out the Molly?  Surely this isn’t the future fans of this couple were hoping for when Degrassi foreshadowed Zaya two seasons ago.
I’ve mostly been ignoring the Zaya stuff because it comes across as more of a plot device for the gang storyline, but a lot seemed to get crammed into this episode: the drugs, the sex and the “we’re almost going to break up, but we didn’t” moment.  It’s to the point where I can’t decipher between what’s real with Zaya and what’s being done purely to move the gang plot along.  Despite that, there were some good things in this plot.  One of the most memorable episodes for me is season 8’s Heart of Glass, where Alli loses her virginity and regrets it.  In a world where males, especially young ones, a viewed as always wanting sex, it’s interesting to see Zig regret having slept with Maya.  It’s also crazy that once again Vince says something very insightful. Actually, it was the best line of the night:  “You know what your problem is?  You always talk yourself out of a good thing like you don’t deserve it.”
And now that I think about it, that might be one of the most-relatable quotes ever spoken on this show.  The cliffhanger ending was great, it just took traveling through an arduous maze of “What the hell is happening?” to get there.

Clare vs. Ms. Pill

1420-2Clare’s nominated for Valedictorian, along with Alli and Connor, but Clare isn’t interested.  Ms. Pill tells her running for Valedictorian will be good for her in the face of recent tragedy, revealing to Clare that Ms. Pill has been listening to students’ conversations through the new camera system.  Clare feels violated, and uses her nomination speech to inform the entire school of Ms. Pill’s behavior.

Ms. Pill doesn’t suspend Clare, but continues to give her advice by telling her the she and Clare’s friends are worried Clare will throw away her future.  Furious, Clare grabs a bat and smashes a couple of the cameras.

QUICK GRADE: B-
QUICK REVIEW:  Clare’s thing is that she wants to mourn in private and tell people about the baby on her own terms.  She’s said multiple times she doesn’t want people treating her differently, and that comes into play when Ms. Pill starts giving her advice out of the blue.  I believe Ms. Pill overstepped her bounds in this case, listening to Clare-related conversations and then jumping in to give unsolicited advice to someone she doesn’t really know (despite the fact her advice was actually really good).  Losing a child isn’t something you just get over, and Clare’s still in mourning.  She just wants to get through the end of the school year without any issues or anyone treating her like a charity case; I can’t be mad at her for that.

Frankston Fights On Set

1420-3Frankie’s having trouble concentrating during rehearsals because she’s still angry Winston kissed Lola.  Imogen tells Frankie if she can’t get it together they’ll have to replace her.  Frankie has no plans on leaving the musical, but she doesn’t want to work with Winston anymore.  She doesn’t want to end up like her mom, who spends all of her time being sad these days instead of doing the things she loves because of the separation from Mr. Hollingsworth.

Instead of letting Winston’s presence continue to but her, Frankie decides to work through it and rehearse with him anyway.  She also encourages her mom to quit moping over Mr. Hollingsworth and get back to doing something she loves: shopping.

QUICK GRADE: A
QUICK REVIEW: Bless this plot for addressing one of the life lessons I value the most: you can’t control other people’s actions, but you have a choice in how you choose to react to things.  Imogen is fantastic in this plot, not only doling out advice, but also sharing how she had to work through a project with Jack after they’d broken up (continuity FTW).  “If you really don’t wanna give up the musical, give up some anger instead,” Imogen says.  “It’ll make you feel better.”  Noticing the parallels between her life and her mom’s, Frankie helps to pull her mom out of her own funk.
I think about this daily because I’m too old and tired to be getting worked up over everything, or to let anyone or anything ruin the things I enjoy.  Why waste your time choosing to be miserable when you could be enjoying life instead?

1. There was nothing interesting about Frankie’s plot. I literally zoned out and texted every time it came on.

The gang story was intense!! Zig answered a question that summed up whatever him and Zoe were. That when it comes to other girls no other girls matter. He has always been waiting for Maya and now he has her.

They are intense and I love it but I also love how they were mature about the situation after. I think the writers have a new otp

Clare will always be over the top lol But it would be nice if we didn’t get another clare plot since we just had one. Let’s focus on the other graduating class.

2. To be fair Kary. It’s obvious he regretted it because he was high when they did it. Even Maya regretted to, because they where high when they did it.

3. Why couldn’t they just let Connor have this? Why couldn’t we get a plot about him potentially being valedictorian instead of yet another Clare storyline? Is one freaking C-plot too much to ask for? Maybe he could have done something to jeopardize his chances. Maybe he’s struggling with his speech. Even a plot involving Connor and Alli being tied for the honor and Jenna being caught in the middle would have been preferable to more Clare. Now it’s just going to look like Connor won by default.

I’m officially sick of Zaya too at this point. I predict that the amount of “Maya gets pregnant” fanfics are going to see a sharp increase now, LOL.

4. The Ms. Pill thing was ridiculous. Could there not have been a way of addressing the “talk to your friends” theme of the plot without it being about a school principal who is essentially spying on her students? Please tell me that’s not actually a thing that happens in high schools nowadays.

1. It is in many schools in Los Angeles. I think they are watching out for gang related things.

1. That’s insane! Wow, just get me a cane now so I can wave it at kids who mess with my lawn, because I feel super old, now.

2. This baffled my brain as well…this as well as the electronic storage thing make it look as if the writers just looked up a bunch of strict policies occurring in schools and cram them into this block.

5. This ep kind of upset me but What happened with Maya was ooc of her to take drugs just a while ago she was so upset with Miles with his weed issues.

Clare is over the top for a reason, she is still hurting over her baby. She still doesn’t want people in right now and that is not healthy for her. Her emotions are more higher than normal, Clare needs therapy.

Frankie plot was wonderful and Imogen has been a great tool expressing and helping people.

6. Connor and Jenna will never see the center of another storyline again. Ever. A moment of silence for this condemned couple. They’ve officially been backed to supporting cast for the remainder of their time on Degrassi. Poor souls.

7. The Pill is likely to dish out some heavy punishment to Clare, maybe even criminal charges.

8. Damnit! The feels! This gang plot really has me on edge. I think Zig is a good person who just got caught up in some mess and I’m not so sure if he’s going to escape it. I hope he doesn’t get killed. If I were him I would have picked up the phone, cried and begged my mom to take me in before I would affiliate myself with the gang life any further. He gave up too easily when the social worker told him that she felt iffy about letting him back in. Even though I think Zig’s a good person and I want him to have an escape once and for all from this shady lifestyle, in the real world hanging out with the wrong crowd can seal your fate, get you killed, framed (which I sense may happen to him) or thrown in jail. In real life no matter how good your heart is there may not always be a happy ending.

9. Zig and Maya high together was one of the funniest scenes of 14B so far. Ignoring the fact that it came out of left field, I like(d) Zaya. I think she brings out the best in him and he was definitely the support she needed last season when she was having the nightmares and freaking out about Miles. I think they’re really cute together, especially in the first episode after their kiss because Maya was still worrying about Zig and was trying to find a way for him to stay, and they felt like themselves. Now they’ve made Maya so laughably OOC in the last couple episodes that it’s really hard to handle.

Maya can be annoying at times but she’s sweet and means well and cares more about her friends than anyone else on the show, so having her know that Zig is staying with gang members and not going to her mom or someone else about it makes zero sense. This is the girl who a few episodes ago was saying she was going to move in with Tristan so Zig could stay and now she’s in a situation that screams trouble for Zig and the writers have her turn around and decide to take drugs and have sex? Not buying it.

As you said, it’s all to further the gang plot, but it’s not necessary and it’s not believable. They could’ve easily had some smaller conflict, or had Zig want to go visit Maya and Vince say here I’ll take you we just have to stop along the way, thus eliminating the need to do the whole taking drugs thing in the first place. And while I do agree with you about it being nice to see a teenage boy regretting sex on this show, they could have that storyline play out differently or in a less jam packed episode. I can’t word this exactly as I’d like but basically it feels like they’re trying to give too much set up for everything that is going to unfold in the next couple episodes to make us really invested in the story and it’s spitting on well done characterization and becoming nonsensical. I already adored Zig and was into the gang storyline before they threw the Zaya romance into the mix, they don’t need to oversell that for this to be a story worth following. I wish someone in the writers’ room would say to them “hey this is overkill” once in a while, because it would probably prevent a lot of the ooc moments on the show.

As for Clare, I’m firmly on her side. There’s no way they could spin it to make what Pill did acceptable, which was kind of the point. Even if Pill was listening in to look out for the students, she doesn’t have the right to make a comment about Clare’s tragedy when she doesn’t know her at all and Clare hasn’t volunteered that information. Then later in the episode she speaks for Clare’s friends, basically saying they’ve been talking about it too? Not okay. If Clare were clearly becoming destructive a la Darcy, or even just slipping in all of her classes, then I’d say it was okay for Pill to say something to her, but even then it should really just be her asking Clare if something was wrong or calling her parents. With everything the writers have put Clare through since season 10 I’m honestly shocked she hasn’t taken a baseball bat to something until now.

Frankie is adorable and continues to be the most consistent and likable character. I’m looking forward to more of her in the future.

10. I did not like this episode and the direction degrassi is going in general. The start with Maya and ZIg making out for idk how ong confused me, when were they ever so physical? They just jumped from cute pecks to intense and confusing makeout session. I don’t understand, they’ve dated before, it wasn’t like this and yet they begin to act dramatic about not having any privacy. It’s like they changed a whole lot between lat episode and this one. I like how Maya always supported Zig and is seeming responsible, but then just when I think she is, she messes up. Her character to me is weak in certain sense. Like how she decided to take the drugs and then when Zig brings up sex, she acts as if she always wanted it so soon. I know drugs alter your state of mind, but are you serious? It never would have happened if she’d just said no to the drugs instead of telling Zig to take it with her. That’s pretty weak to me. But it’s not like she’s been the strongest character, throwing away her cello, getting drunk at that party and basically about to have sex with that other guy, in attempt to ‘deal with her problem’. The writers should have done a better job at this, because the episode just doesn’t make sense to me. How do they go from a cute relationship to all that, it was just spontaneous.
    The breakup was also ridicules, they’ve been together before and broken up, Zig obviously wanted her very badly at soome point so the fact that he broke up with her was stupid, you know that wouldn’t help. He should also know he’s fine for her, he’s a good guy and it was basically all her doing that caused them to have sex, not that Zig wasn’t also on board, but who said they should take drugs? Which also brings me to this, I though Zig would be smarter and not do it, but apparently he isn’t. Why are so many people on this show so easily swayed into doing things they’d regret? That’s how some teenagers are, but not everyone.
    I’m not sure about all the degrassi seasons, but they should do a better job at representing people graduating high school as virgins. It’d show a mixture, but at least Conner and Becky are graduating as virgins. Some people lose it and some people decide to keep it, degrassi should do a better job at showing that.
    If Zig doesn’t want to be involved with that lifestyle, he shouldn’t be allowing himself to be so easily pushed into it. His mother doesn’t want him home because she heard about the knife incident? I understand but she knows he’s in danger and he could die, so she needs to step it up.
    Now with Claire, she’s been annoying me quite a bit for these past few seasons. I understand that she’s been through a lot, but I’m kind of tired of her personality, attitude and the way she chooses to handle certain situations. She needs to make peace with all she’s been through this year then focus on the last 2 weeks of school. Getting pregnant and having to put everything on hold just to have a baby that she would lose is a lot to deal with, but I hope she find sa way to take back charge of her life and aim for her goals.
    Now onto Frankie, I don’t know why I was annoyed by her being mad at Winston. It was his fault and he should have told her right when it happened. Despite me being annoyed at the whole ‘I’m mad at Winston’ plot, I admire how she was able to but it behind her. She annoys me countless times, but she’s a pretty mature character in my opinion. Much better then the the people in the 10th grade, they really annoy me. are there even any 11th graders?
    Anyways, I just wanted to say, this episode, like a lot of the others are not all that good, but I watch it just to watch it.