Description for tonight’s episode: Katie injures her knee at tryouts for the National Soccer Team. Desperate to make the team, she searches for a quick fix that will allow her to play through the pain. Jenna tries get her happy-go-lucky attitude back by picking up her guitar, but after everything she’s been through, her old songs sound all wrong. Jake encourages her to write something new. When Tori ditches Tristan to hang out with Zig, Tris is hurt. He’ll say anything to get his best friend back, but will he break her heart in the process?

***********

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m really excited for Katie’s storyline.  Degrassi has dealt with illegal drugs numerous times, and they have dealt with prescription drugs and over-the-counter pills on occasions (JT becoming a drug dealer in TNG, and Michelle taking caffeine pills in Degrassi High). But I’m really hoping that they dig deeper into the idea of people becoming addicted to prescription meds.  Personally, I know more people who have become dependent on their prescription meds/ abuse other people’s meds than I know people who use drugs like meth, or coke or heroin.

I don’t really have any thoughts on Jenna’s storyline, so we’ll just have to wait and see.  While I’m curious to see how the niner plot will work out, we should all be anxious to see how Tristan and Owen will interact in tonight’s episode.

I might be the only person who doesn’t think about Owen’s homophobic behavior toward Riley and Zane every time he’s around, and view him as someone who is only capable of doing homophobic things, because he must be busy spending all of his time planning his next homophobic assault while tattooing “I hate fags” on his forehead.  Hell no, I do not condone what he did.  But the only reason I’ve “let it go” so to speak is because I feel like Owen is a “character of convenience.” In other words, he’s basically nothing more than a plot device; he becomes whatever the writers want him to be in order to advance the plot of other characters.  He had a very specific role when he started: to be a douchebag toward anyone and everyone. Now he’s suddenly interacting with people in a more “normal” sense, and that makes NO sense because they’ve yet to address anything related to his behavior toward gay people (and anyone really) in the past.  So either he’s definitely a homophobe, someone who was but now isn’t and shows remorse/compassion for past behavior, or he was a homophobe and now suddenly he’s not and it goes down in Degrassi history as a gaping hole in continuity. I’m most definitely hoping Tristan and Owen’s interaction tonight provides any kind clarification.

1. Whoo-Hoo!

2. Kary, good comments. You are right about the writers changing Owens character just to suit a plot line. Last season he was upsdet with Anya and her doing drugs. This year Owen wants Fiona to down a pint of tequila. Alot of this is inconsistent growth and behavior from season to season. …..Agree with your comments on prescription drugs too. I have known people that had back pain and got hooked on vicadin. More people abuse prescription pharmacy drugs than take illegal ones.

3. I totally agree about Owen. I actually never think about his homophobic ways every time he’s on screen because I don’t give a crap about him. Ever since his “evil” episodes, he hasn’t really done anything except be an uncharacteristically supportive boyfriend to Anya. He most definitely is a character of convenience.

4. They are brothers… at least according to Entertainment Weekly. I haven’t heard anything about Zig and Owen being brothers before, but they said Zig was the brother of the “resident homophobe” and Owen’s the only one I can think of that would apply.

1. It was probably just a mistake by the publisher.. I’ve seen countless interviews with the cast of New Beginnings in which the person dishing out the questions acts as if the Now Or Never episodes were a part of Season 10.

5. Canada is not that great at soccer anyway.

6. Nina Shewchuk March 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Tori’s crying thing is really annoying.

1. I just find Tori annoying in general. Maya’s cool. Tristan is HILARIOUS. Zig seems kind of braindead.

7. I’m actually liking part 1 so far. Katie’s desire to be on the Soccer team triumphs everything else and wants to cash in while she can. It’s believable because how many aspiring athletes do this all the time.

Jenna’s plot made me tear up a bit. She wants to move on but K.C. wants her to feel guilty about giving up the baby. Heartbreaking indeed.

Tristian made me laugh all the way. I like him so far.

8. Why do they keep giving Tori “crying scenes”? A – she’s terrible at fake crying, B – it makes her look like an annoying drama queen who’s overreacting over nothing.. Seriously. So far, she’s reeeeeeeeeeeally annoying.

1. If you’re asking why they keep giving Alex the crying scenes, I honestly think it’s been written to where every time Tori cries it’s supposed to come off as fake. I guess that’s her thing she uses to manipulate people into feeling sorry for her, like she did with Maya in Underneath It All.

9. I’m waiting for things to get intense next episode because I didn’t enjoy tonight as much as I thought I would. This is my most anticipated storyline for the rest of the season, and I hope it doesn’t disappoint. And my jaw dropped at Katie’s mom. I also appreciated Maya looking out for her sister in the bulimia department.

Ugh, Kenna pulling at my heartstrings. You know the Degrassiverse is strange when I enjoy them more than anyone. Their pain just felt so tangible to me tonight.

Kind of a lame niner plot, but it had some awesome elements. The Degrassi Experience reference made me die with laughter, and I feel sorry for people that don’t get it. Tristan and Owen interaction! I want more of this! I was sitting as close to the TV as possible so I wouldn’t miss a word. And general Tristan/Tori best friend interaction was enjoyable.

10. This is what I really didn’t want to happen with 11.5. Bland episodes that kill an entire week of programming.

Chloe Rose (Katie) is an even worse actor than Shane Kippel (Spinner) without any comedic factor. They really bombed at making her the next Paige/Holly J.

Final thought: I feel that breaking up with Clare makes a character more appealing. I hated Eli while he was dating Clare but now I find him hilarious. Jake seems ok now but while he was dating Clare he was a waste.

11. I haven’t seen this episode because I’m waiting until Part 2 to bookend it, but having seen the mini-sode, I’m so glad Paige/Lauren Collins is back. It’s always good when old Degrassi alums come back. Now all that needs to happen is for Emma and Ashley to return.

1. Miriam has been approached for an upcoming minisode :)

12. Isn’t Katie supposed to be a tough no-nonsense character? Because she isn’t the least bit independent. Marisol and Drew make all of her decisions for her. She seems to feel bad about it, but she never acts on her feelings which makes her unsympathetic, at least to me. At this point she should just date Owen and they can waltz around being completely unsympathetic.

13. Seriously, Owen is always changing. It’s weird seeing him be all buddy buddy like with Drew. I mean he almost raped Alli, broke a glass door with Adam’s head, assisted Fitz while beating him up. It makes no sense. What happened to the grudges?! I want that Jimmy and Spinner kind of grudge. Hell he was even sitting alongside Zane and Riley during prom. Pretty awkward..

14. Katie’s character is so annoying, and Chloe Rose isn’t a great actor. But I like the plot so far just because it’s believable.

As for Kenna, that was heartbreaking! I don’t even like KC and Jenna (I mean, who does?) but I still felt bad for her in this episode.

I like Tristan so far, he’s a bit outlandish but funny. Surprise, surprise, he’s Owen’s brother! Interesting… I bet that Zig will be a more likable character once we see him doing his own thing and not with Tori, kind of like Jake with Clare. Tori seems like a stereotypical drama queen. I like Maya, wish we had more of her this episode.

PAIGE!!!!!! I was SOO excited when I saw her in the mini!! They need to bring back some more old characters! Give us longtime fans a treat.

15. Personally, I find it harder and harder to relate to or feel good about Katie with every episode she appears in this season. She just keeps continuously making such selfish decisions. Also, it would be much easier to believe that her sole dream in life is to be part of the national team if we’d seen her playing soccer before this episode. For something that seems to be so important to Katie, it was certainly overshadowed in the past by other things, like the presidency (which, by the way, should seriously interfere with her time to practice the sport) and Drew drama.

Jenna continues to have such heart-felt and heart-breaking storylines that I feel like hugging her and telling her that it will get better every time she appears on the screen. Also, there are no words to describe the awesomeness that was Alli in this episode. No words at all.

As for Tristan and Tori, it’s kind of alarming to me how desperate both of them are. I mean, I can certainly understand why the two are best friends. It makes every kind of sense in the world, because the two of them are so alike. Tristan is the overweight gay kid, and Tori is the only friend he has, so he is desperate not to lose her. The only other person he knows in Degrassi is Owen, who apparently cares way more about his reputation than his little brother. Meanwhile, Tori’s self-esteem is woefully low, and her opinion of herself is entirely tied to the way she is perceived by boys in general and Zig in particular. Of course, she is desperate to keep dating Zig, because, in her eyes, that’s what makes her a person of worth. As for Zig, he really needs to get some sort of personality before I can comment on him intelligently.

16. I’m so sick of fake crying.

17. DropTheWorld23 March 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Katie: I agree that her character has been toned down greatly since her introduction, particulary with Claire in “Cry Me A River.” I think I really miss that Katie who was tough, because I hated watching her get so boring In episodes like Mr. Brightside and Nowhere to Run where she was just so uninteresting the whole time… Although you could also attribute that to Krew being such a boring couple. However, I like her plot so far because I’m getting the vibe I got during “Turned Out”, where JT slowly became sucked into the world of pill dependency. Katie’s mom being in a wheelchair is a plot device without a doubt, just present to give Katie an easy reason to have access to pills, but overall, I think it’s a realtistic plot that is shaping up very well.

18. My issue with the main plot is this. I have absolutely no idea if i should like Katie or not. Does Degrassi want me to like her or hate her? It’s hard to tell. She’s confusing. I WANT to like her, but it doesn’t mean i do. I just would like Degrassi to make it more obvious what Katie’s role is supposed to be

Jenna has had probably the best character development in the past few seasons of Degrassi. it’s amazing how she’s gone from having irrelevant scenes that don’t impact anything to consistently having scenes that make me feel bad for her & just want her to feel better. Her stories & her acting have both improved. Cheer up soon Jenna

Tristan & Tori are such annoying drama queens. They’re perfect for each other. Maya is by far the most interesting of the niners so it sucks she didn’t have a bigger role in this episode

They need to delve more into the Owen/Tristan relationship in Part 2. I want to know if Owen has changed a bit on his opinions & what Tristan’s thought on Owen are. They didn’t give us much an idea from their small talk. They just made them seem like normal brother/brother which they’re not

1. “And Jake is funny now that he’s not with Clare. Clare ruins every boy she’s with”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I really hope this is a fresh new start for Jake.

19. The seniors this year are really bumming me out with how selfish they ALL are. I hope some of them turn a corner. It’s mostly because most of them CAN be seen in a good light. I don’t mind Marisol being a bitch because she is written as one consistently. Everyone else flips the bitch switch every once in a while.

20. […] them and root against the bad characters getting in their way.  And those bad characters are the term I’ve used before, “characters of convenience.”  Unlike the primary characters, their […]

21. No March Madness this year? It could be sponsored by Motoretta!
    I’d love to find out where their “Italian” scooters are made; I’m guessign either China or Mississauga.

22. […] a secondary character) into whatever they need in order to advance the plot at that time.  Owen Milligan in Seasons 10 and 11 is a perfect example of this.  I think of Jimmy and Hazel as a “couple of […]