According to some fans, the sweet Christian girl we used to know has turned into a slut because she's thinking about having sex with her boyfriend...guess we better start collecting rocks so we can stone this harlot like the "good ole days"

This is one of those topics I’ve wanted to discuss for a while, but now seems appropriate since Degrassi returns in a week, and the premiere episode deals with this very topic: Clare Edwards and her sexuality. Using Clare and sex in the same sentence does sound kind of weird at first. For years Clare was portrayed as a girl with a strict upbringing who maintained those strict values every day. Now, instead of just following the words of her elders without question, she’s discovering who she is and developing a mind of her own based on reality and not the reality based on assumptions that she lived in.

The reason it’s silly is because we’re talking about teenagers here. No major character on Degrassi leaves the show as the same person they were when they first arrived.  It doesn’t matter if we love or hate the change, but because character development drives this show, their evolution is necessary.

Now onto the topic of Clare wanting to have sex…I just can’t fathom why anyone besides bitter EClare fans would refer to her as a slut for wanting to sleep with Jake. Below is a tumblr post associatedrants made a while back about people calling Clare a slut:

People calling Clare’s character a slut for entertaining the idea of having sex with her boyfriend does not upset me as a Clare fan. It upsets me as a woman. Because regardless of how you stand on the great Eli vs. Jake, treating sexual activity as some sort of dichotomy that separates the ‘virgins’ from the ‘skanks’ is not a healthy lens to apply to any situation, fictional or no.”

It’s baffling to me that teen girls act as if they don’t understand how the brain of a teen girl works. Let’s re-watch the preview clip of her and Jake in an intimate moment below.

The problem is most people only focus on the fact she’s on top of Jake and unzipping her shirt, as opposed to listening to what she’s saying:

It’s scary how much I like you. This is it…once in a lifetime moment, something we can never take back, and I am so happy it’s with you. Someone I love, who loves me, who I could be with forever.”

Using words like “love” and “forever?” Wow, such slutty language.

Clare has been acting like an asshole in Season 11.  She’s become whiny and self-centered, and it grates on me (some of it her fault, some of it the fault of the show and how it’s being written).  And I HATE CAKE WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS.

BUT I understand her mental process when it comes to wanting to sleep with Jake. Her language in that scene says it all.  She is in love with this guy, and emotionally committed to him because in her head she wants to be with him forever.  Though they aren’t married, she believes their relationship is reaching the commitment level of two people who are (even though us, the viewers, can see that’s clearly not the case).

Do I think Clare Edwards is a slut? No, not even close.  It’s kinda like how Manny Santos was called a slut back in Season 3…people totally disregarded the fact that she was driven by head-over-heels feelings that left her blind to what was really happening, to the point of her being borderline delusional.  Just because Clare is no longer in uptight, bible-thumper mode it doesn’t mean she’s transformed into someone with no values or sense of morality.

1. Look at you, with your attention-grabbing headlines. Haha

In all reality, though, people should’ve been expecting something like this. I mean, one of her first plots involved a vibrator. This sex stuff was inevitable.

2. I honestly think Clare is not a slut she is going throught what many teenage girls go through. Luckly she will be having or not but its with someone she trusts and loves. To me that is not slutty. Clare has been through a lot and yes she has been a snot but she was pretty sheltered in the Christain faith. The same thing happened to Darcy aroung the same age. I just have a feeling Jake is going to change his mind and Clare is going to feel rejected and break up with him. Because that what Clare does best runs away when things don’t go her way. That I blame on Mrs Edwards- Martin.

3. If anything, I would refer to Claire as a slut because she has told BOTH Eli and Jake that she loves them and wants to be with them forever, yet she was so strict on remaining “pure” with Eli. She was with Eli for about 3 months, yet in the 2nd meeting of her and Jake’s before they even entered a relationship, she was already wiling to jump into this hyper sexual mode. I would never call a woman or a man a slut/whore/skank for wanting to have sex, I just can’t stand how hypocritical Claire has been in her romantic and even platonic relationships. she’s annoying af and the fact that she wants to have sex with Jake doesn’t make her slutty, but just makes me despise her even more

4. As annoying as Clare’s been all season, she’s not a slut for wanting to have sex with Jake. It’s understandable how with certain people you want to abstain from having sex yet with others you can’t help but. People are acting as if she’s dating BOTH ELI AND JAKE and that’s not the case.

I believe Clare should’ve waited longer but situations like this (temptation not set siblings as couples) happen all the time. Those that wear purity rings sometimes can’t live up to its expectations and give in and have sex.

I still can’t get over the fact that she can’t forgive Alli for what happened in Nowhere to Run. It takes 2 pairs of lips to touch and Alli immediately regretted it.

5. Cake bothers me very much.
    Clare has been very annoying this season.
    Clare shouldn’t be so quick to forgive Jake and not Alli.

Do I think she’s a slut? No, just hypocritical.

6. Slut is not the word I would use for her. Soul-sucking dementor is more of an apt description. In fact, she might be less of a succubus if she slutted herself up a little more.

1. LMAO and thank You

2. “Soul-sucking dementor”,made me LOL!! a smell a fellow harry potter fan!! i totally agree with what you’re saying though!

3. LOL SOUL Sucking Dementor is obviously much more appropriate.

7. The amount of slut shaming directed at any female in Degrassi is ridiculous. I want to bash my head in every time I see people STILL hate on Jenna for “stealing” K.C. from Clare. I don’t even like Jenna, and I find it tiresome.

“One of the most ridiculous things that any fan can do is to assume that a character on Degrassi is supposed to remained the same person forever.” /debate

And I don’t know why but this made me laugh: “Clare has been acting like an asshole in Season 11.”

8. I honestly think if she had more chemistry with Jake and their relationship was more developed people (who aren’t nonsensical shippers) wouldn’t think that. The problem is we don’t really have a reason as to why she would want to have sex with Jake over any of her other boyfriends.

1. Ehhh… I can probably answer why she didn’t sleep with her two previous boyfriends pretty easily. Also why she would sleep with Jake.

K.C.: She was FOURTEEN when she and KC were an item. The cut scenes made it pretty clear at the time she had the sexual urges of a teaspoon at the time. She and KC were at different points in their sexual developments, with him being far more ready to do that than Clare was. Which is why Jenna could quietly seduce him and Clare… couldn’t. Because Clare was a girl, and Jenna was definitely already a woman.

Eli: She actually did try to sleep with Eli, during Season 10, but he turned her down. That sorta thing gets noticed and would probably prevent her from trying again right away. After that we get his cracking sanity issues, which puts Clare into the space of wanting to help him. That sorta thing limits the desire to sleep with him until you know he’s Okay. And then he wasn’t okay, and things spiraled out of control, and she broke up with him.

Jake: Sixteen year old Clare Edwards and Fourteen year old Clare Edwards are as separated as night and day now. She woke up sexually, fell in love (hard), lost that love, and watched her family fall apart around her. Her boyfriend is now living with her, which adds to the tension in every possible way. I figure we’ve had more than a few incidents where a shirtless Jake leaves the bathroom and Clare sees him. Plus, as they made very clear with Clare’s ‘undressing Jake with her eyes’ in Jake’s intro ep, she finds him very attractive. (That, and Clare post ‘Innocent When You Dream’ is a timebomb of sexual desire. Her makeout dream with Jake at the start of the season further adding to that.)

It does make sense if you think about it, the issue is that we spent so much of Season 11 Part 1 focusing on Clare dealing with Eli, we got next to no development on Jake, so he’s still a bit flat on the character side. Also I used a lot of conjecture and ‘likely’ I’m hoping the show makes more than a few of that into fact on the screen (even in deleted scenes) because it would help sell the couple. And really, they need to stop writing like the couple sells itself, they didn’t give it nearly the starting build it needed.

9. This is some b******* s**** I know haly you you ppl be acting just like her ok she is only growing up there nothing wrong with her wanting to have sex ok so like chill out there really nothing to debate about and like wtf half of you ppl are sluts so like get real is she wants to have sex then her let her have it because there are some real teens out there that is just like her and yes i am very offend by what ppl are saying about her so like gtf and get a life (smh) and p.s it’s just a show

1. Woah I enjoyed that promo a lot! The power of rapid percussion music is impressive. I saw Drianca happening. Me gusta. I saw Katie Bianca rivalry. Me gusta. I saw Eclare (maybe-ish). Me gusta (despite what many say now I wouldn’t mind seeing them back together).

10. CLARE USED TO BE SO UGLY LMAO…SHE IS BEAUTIFUL NOW

11. I hate what this show has done to christians! they have made it seem that we are all weak, and will give up our values. It’s not true! I have a purity vow and am very proud of it. sex is a very special thing that is for a husband and a wife to share together. Sex outside of marriage is a hurtful and dangerous thing that can break your heart, and i hate how people think it’s nothing when it’s everything. I don’t like when people say well every teenager thinks about it, well that’s not true ethier. For me it’s not even in question and it makes me sick to hear about how people think it’s not a big deal.

12. Regardless of how I feel about the Cake/Eclare/crappy Clare storylines this season, the fact that a girl/young woman wanting to have sex is still seen as a Very Bad Thing is sad to me. “Omg teen girl wants to do the naughty!!! Sluttttttt!”
    God, I hate that word.

13. It is bad to want it if you aren’t married.

14. Does anyone not remember that she wanted to do the same thing with Eli? She wanted to stay with him, in his room, and have sex. Eli denied, for obvious reasons I won’t bring up. But will Jake deny it? I don’t really know. I don’t know how Jake feels about Clare.. if he is totally “in love” with her, or If he just wants a casual relationship. He did say that’s all he wanted, does he still want that?

Clare needs to realize that she’s not going to spend the rest of her life with Jake, a.k.a. her stepbrother. Once their parents find out, some bad shit’s gonna go down.

If Clare does go all the way with Jake, she will more-than-likely regret it in the long run. But do I think she’s a slut? Not at all. She thinks loves Jake, and wants to give him her virginity. Just because she’s not straddling Eli and giving him blow-jobs doesn’t give all the hardcore EClare fangirls the right to call her a slut. I also hate Cake with an extreme passion that can only be described by evil unicorns, and I am also a hardcore EClare fangirling creep, but Clare is not a slut, whatsoever.

15. Wait wait wait, Clare has not been annoying all season. Yes, she has been a bit arrogant lately and caught up in herself, but I do not think that she is being a bitch nor do I think she has reached a place of no return. Okay, okay, so Clare has been through alot with her parents and her religious values crumbling beneath her, but that is no excuse. I am a Clare fan, but even I think she needs to ease off a bit. In Should’ve Said No, it was illustrated that Clare is terrified of opening up after her parent’s divorce and her past relationship troubles, and I think all of us need to go back and rewatch this episode to humanize Clare a bit.

16. For me, the problem with any potential Cake sex is that it is predicated on the idea that Cake has this really intense, significant relationship – that Clare loves Jake so much and wants to be with him forever. The problem is that although we’ve been told they love each other and that their relationship is so meaningful that it’s worth disobeying their parents, there’s been little to no evidence that’s what it actually is. Cake made sense in the beginning when it was a casual relationship meant to make Clare happy while she went into massive denial mode about Eli and her mother. Cake stopped making sense during Don’t Panic 2 and went into massive WTF mode during Nowhere to Run.

If I could believe Clare’s feelings for Jake were truly that serious, I certainly wouldn’t blame her for either wanting to sleep with him or even sleeping with him (as much as that would really hurt me). But I think the vast majority of their relationship has been a joke and so this sex storyline feels like just yet another out of character moment for Clare. (Which isn’t to say she shouldn’t change or that she should stay a virgin until she dies. It’s just this situation which feels wrong to me.)

Another significant aspect to me that really can’t be helped is the timeline. Even though they attempted to shuffle the timeline a bit by making Clare and Eli only date for three months, when it clearly should be four (right before Christmas break until April 22), Jake and Clare dated for what…two months? Three, with the timeline shift? Then they broke up, got together a week before school started and now the first week of school are contemplating sex? If they hadn’t broken up, and had been together the whole summer, and this wasn’t the first episode back, I would have found the sex issue to be more believable. Of course, I don’t really want to watch Cake date each other on screen for another six months just so that it feels like Clare might actually be ready to take that step. But that’s pretty fast for most high school kids, let alone a girl who might have actually once wanted to wait for marriage. (And I know people change their mind on that, and I don’t believe Clare ever felt as strongly about it as Darcy, but still…)

Anyway, I hope that they do not have sex. And not just because I don’t want them to, but because it would just be too cruel. There is no indication that they have sex and live happily ever after. If Jake listens to Clare’s little speech, knowing what she wants and know that he either doesn’t want the same thing, or realizes that realistically in their situation there’s no way that can happen, and then proceeds to sleep with her anyway, it would just be too awful. Clare would be heartbroken, Jake would be kind of evil, and what’s the point of that? We can have the same issues brought up by having them talk about it without actually doing it.

Sorry for the rant, but you know me, I can’t keep things short. But regardless of what happens, if Clare does sleep with Jake, she isn’t a slut. And she certainly isn’t a slut for wanting to.

But I really hope it doesn’t happen anyway.

1. In regards to the timeline, Clare might be counting them as a couple starting from after he was suspended, which would put their relationships starting in mid-January. That’s my only explanation on that bit of it. Since the winter break Clare and Eli weren’t together much, and she was shutting him out until his suspension was over.

As I stated before, the Cake relationship has the added adrenaline of a step-sibling, someone you:
      1. See every day at home.
      2. In a more unguarded and relaxed setting.
      Those two details together beefs up the tension for wanting to do it, and compared to a relationship where you go out a few times a week, would probably put Clare in a more emotionally rooted place to wanna have sex (Clare might see ‘dinner as siblings’ everyday in the light of ‘this is what we’d be like if we were married.’ The stunt with the cake in the November special kinda rooted that idea to my head). Jake in turn seems to like to see Clare a little off her footing and flustered (which if he walks into the hall as she gets out of the shower, he could do) it’d probably up his feelings that she’s cute. Jake’s a bit of a troll that way from what little build his personality has.

I hope they don’t go through with the sleeping together either (at least right now), since the timeline is still skewed. Even if I do view Clare as being a more sexually… awake, character than Darcy, and that she has reason to want to sleep with Jake that aren’t applied with Eli. They made it clear Eli was far more about an intellectual equal, and that Jake is a physical attraction (meaning a physical act fits more), but the timeline isn’t right for Clare to just jump Jake yet. It needs more build-up, more simple scenes of Clare and Jake living together before we hit the big moment.

Given the info on the ep in question, Clare’s testing Jake. I’m figuring the test will ad friction at least at the start (which in the long run is better for the chances Cake happens that far). If Jake gets offended at the test, or Clare can’t go through with it, it means that when they go through with it it’ll be more realistic.

17. I have a feeling that Clare having sex with Jake is not going to happen, but they are teenagers what do you expect? I think this is going to be the set up for the downfall for the saint of degrassi

18. She is nowhere near being a slut, and I like her character because it shows that you don’t have to put out to have a boyfriend (or two, or three). This shouldn’t even be a discussion – people are only saying that because its Jake and not Eli.

19. really people? Clare is only being called a slut because it’s Jake in her bed and not Eli. I bet if Eli was the one she was straddling, everyone would be having panic attacks of excitement. To be honest, of course I enjoyed Eli and Clare’s relationship, (that is before it went downhill) I think we all did, but it’s over people! And I wouldn’t doubt that if it came back to the horizon in 11.5 that everyone would go crazy again, myself included. But really the point is, that nobody can accept the fact that Eli and Clare are not together anymore.
    I will admit, Clare was making me cringe in the last few weeks of season 11 part 1. Some of the things she did and said just turned me off to her, and she used to be my favorite character.

20. “Bitter Eclare Fans”

hit the nail right no the head, Kary.

21. People fall in love all the time. Scientist say 8 to 10 times in there life and Whoopie Goldberg said more like one million. At the time she did love Eli but feelings change. She is allowed to want to be with Eli and be in love with him and she allowed to love Jake and be with him. In all honesty, C.are edwards is the farthest thing for a slut because she only wants to have sex with a person she loves unlike other girs who will have sex with anyone. The term making love matters to Clare and even though I mourn the death of Eclare and the birth of Cake, she is having sex with someone she loves and currently wants to be with forever.

22. Nicely said, Kary. Some of these people just do not get it. Teenage girls/boys minds work differently than an adults & no matter how many times we explain to these people calling Clare a “slut” that that is not the case, they will refuse to listen & understand because THEIR minds are most likely still developing & they cannot fathom the wise words of their elders. (I’m 21, not that old, but most certainly not a teenager).

23. I was thinking about it, I don’t know why but I think its polly going to be a dream Clare has or Jake has Since they both are living under the same roof I am sure sexual tension starts to rise and this scene is polly a scene. Kinda like the opening segment and Clare or Jake wake up most likely Clare and the credits start rolling. It sort of reminds me of Degrassi High where one of the characters dream of one of the girls and wakes up to only find it was only a dream. Does anyone agree?

24. This is my first time commenting on this blog, i’m what you call the silent stalker lol i read it but never really commented until now.

I don’t think Clare is a slut she is one of my favorite characters on the show. As a christian i think she shows the world how “real” a christian can be. As a christian myself i still find that i relate to her maybe not on the teenage level being that i’m 28, but on the whole side of having to fight our demons. Christians aren’t perfect and Claire shows that perfectly. I say this and I hope I do not offend anyone but most Christians will go through a period in their life where they question their faith and God, and I believe that this is exactly what Claire is doing. You have to remember everything she has been through, even going back as far as Darcy. (FYI: Darcy was my least favorite character just because she truly showed the ugly side of being a christian always judging others and then trying to show that she was this wonderful Christian ).

First off there is Darcy herself, first she has that incident online where this Guy stalked her through the internet, than she get’s raped and then as if that couldn’t have been bad enough she falsely accuses Snake of molesting her or at the very least touching her in a bad place.

Having your older sister, who most young siblings admire, go through all that only to end up going to Africa is nerve wrecking at best. Then you have her parents getting divorced. I know it has been said that a lot of people did not understand or think she over reacted to that. I think she acted on spot. You have to realize that for a Christian Family divorce is a big thing it’s not “oh well we tried we don’t get along let’s get divorced”, To break up a family it has to be big, and you are taught that in a Christian home. So that turns her world upside down, because here her parents have truly always seemed like they were loving but to find out that her father cheated on her mother ( i believe that is what happened i can not remember for the life of me ) that is earth shattering, all the while going through well the changes of life.

Then there is her Love life. KC at best I think was childhood Love. it was the “we are dating, but we don’t go anywhere”. Eli, I believe was truly her first love and someone she felt close to and connected to through their love of writing. Jake, is the rebound plain and simple.

If you add all of that with having to deal with High school and being a teenager you too would some what freak out like she has.

I hope that all of this that they have portrayed her as will lead to a big rock bottom for her. Once she has hit rock bottom she has to realize that she is ok on her own I think that is one of her Problems is she doesn’t want to be alone so she attaches herself to Jake and even Eli at the time. Once she realizes that she is a strong beautiful person inside and out then I think she can let love in rather it’s Eli or a new character they bring into the show.

25. I get some people don’t like Cake over their own pairing, but calling Clare a slut just comes off as a butthurt fan.

I agree with the above commenter that mentioned a likely reason for this “slut” label is because she’s with Jake and not with Eli, as if Eli owns her and she can’t possibly be happy with someone else….

It does bother me when I’ve come across comments elsewhere that some people think she’ll become a bad role model if she has sex, as if she’ll be this bad Christian girl. Do these people honestly think that if Clare has sex that a bunch of viewers will think that’s the green light and act like hormonal rabbits? People will have sex the next day whether Clare does or not.

Having sex doesn’t mean she’ll fall from grace and end up in firing pits. There’s so much more to the Christianity faith than what is sometimes presented on television. People of many faiths have sex and that doesn’t make them all bad people or poor role models. She’s not having sex for all the wrong reasons (revenge, to ‘trap’ the guy, peer pressure…), but sees it as something potentially wonderful to happen between her and someone she loves (not everyone is lucky to do that). The fact that Clare may not be able to keep that promise that comes with the purity ring is realistic because not everyone can.

The writers have their personal Twilight pairing wars going on and seeing as that both Eli and Jake will graduate before her it’s likely that she’ll end up with neither, someone new, or single (which isn’t a bad thing).

1. Hormonal Rabbits would be a killer band name.

26. right, um i was just looking through this and i dont think clare’s a slut at all.

Clare really liked Jake even though I think they were a TERRIBLE couple its fine, but we know Clare likes Eli but Eli went wacko but I honestly think Clare as his former girlfriend could’ve helped Eli like he showed her a gun for pete sake probably Clare just got scared and ran off.
    But Clare is not a slut, K.C got womanized by Jenna therefore K.C+Clare breaking up. But I do admit Clare acted a little selfish is Not Ready To Make Nice Part 1, I mean she broke up with Jake and now shes getting all moody because hes hanging with Jenna.

27. Even if Clare wanted to have sex with jake that doesn’t mean she lost that religious side of her. Maybe she’s just confused or too wrapped up in her emotions or something. Btw she was never a bible-thumper(whatever that is) she just had certain beliefs supported by her faith(a better word than assumption) that made her so uptight and a little judgemental but she is also just an average teenager with normal raging hormones so this was pretty much bound to happen at some point. Clare Edwards is far from a slut.

28. She’s not a slut because no one is a slut. Stop slut-shaming. Stop using that word. As women, you need to understand that there are other women who have different values as you and you need to respect that. It’s each person’s individual choice to sleep with as many or as little people as they want. From the way you’re calling out a fictional character over just saying something sexual, it’s obvious most of you judge people that way in real life too. It’s not nice and it doesn’t help women in our quest for fairness.