Going into tonight’s episode, Everything Is Everything, I was wondering how you all would answer the following questions:
1) Do you think Bhandallas will finally happen tonight? Would you be okay with it happening now?
2) Will Drew reciprocate feelings for Clare?
3) Is Yates’ behavior toward Tristan going down an inappropriate road?
WARNING: The notes below may contain spoilers for tonight’s episode.
1) Bhandallas: I’ve been a big fan of the social backdrops the show has used over the past few years (dances, plays, summer camp, etc). I’m even more of a fan of one like the current science fair, because we actually see characters at school doing academic work for once! Tonight Dallas and Alli will be at the science fair, and a winner will be determined. The entire point of Dallas helping Alli with the science fair has been to get close to her because he wants to date her.
Things could go horribly awry with Dallas’ aggressive encounter with a judge, or Alli could win first place, leaving Bhandallas free to finally jump all over each other. However, has enough time passed since Alli’s breakup with Leo for fans to comfortably jump on board with Bhandallas at first? We’ve all known Bhandallas is going to happen at some point; it’s been plain as day since 13A, when over the summer Dallas still had feelings for Alli despite timing for a relationship being poor for them in season 12. Nine episodes over the course of two months in real time have separated Alli’s breakup and tonight’s episode. One thing I’m not sure is how much time in the Degrassi universe has passed in between 1318 and 1328.
That weird, possible discrepancy in real time and Degrassi time leaves me unsure of where I stand on this. If Bhandallas does happen tonight I know people will complain that Alli’s “jumping back into another relationship so quickly,” even though the show waited 10 episodes to pull the trigger…10 weekly episodes is a long time to drag something out in TV land.
2) CLEW: Not everything has to be spelled out with dialogue. Subtle clues, glances, can work wonders in conveying strong emotions. With Drew, I feel they’ve done a better job of setting him up for a Clew pairing than Clare. This has nothing to do with the situation Clare is actually in or her feeling of desperation (becoming distant from her boyfriend), but it’s more how they’ve chosen to show us that she’s interested in Drew over a span of several episodes.
One thing I think that’s made Clare’s position feel “off” is the fact there hasn’t really been a stable buildup on her end. At the end of 1316 (Spiderwebs), Drew looked Clare’s way, and the look on her face was one of embarrassment and guilt that she made a mistake, not that she suddenly had feelings for Drew. In 1317 (The World I Know), Drew tried to “let her down easy,” and she showed absolutely no interest in Drew romantically. Four episodes later (1321, No Surprises), after having interacted with Drew in 1318-1320 multiple times with no incident, Clare suddenly freaks out about being around Drew.
Now, let’s look at Drew. Clare kisses him in 1316. He’s not really into her, but by 1317 he’s interested in making her jealous because she flipped things around and rejected him. If Zoë hadn’t come around, we might’ve seen Drew (who was emotionally unstable himself at the time), chase after Clare. Clare doesn’t start acting weird until 1321, and in 1322 (Basket Case), there’s a specific scene that uses Drew’s facial expressions to indicate an interest in Clare, which has been established earlier in the block.
Based on Drew jumping in to cover for Clare in that scene as she lied to Eli, Drew knows (and still knows going into tonight’s episode) that Clare harbors secret feelings for him, and he knows she’s afraid that her secret feelings will come between her relationship with Eli.
I still contend that if we’d seen any hint of Clare being interested or at least wavering during either 1317 or 1318, her feelings from 1321 on wouldn’t feel as if they went from zero to sixty. When it comes to Clew, of course the show wouldn’t jump through all of these hoops only to have Drew say “Nah I’m not interested in you Clare…you’re not my type.” But maybe once Clare’s feelings are put out in the open, maybe the aftermath will be better than the buildup (kind of like how Alli’s relationship was miles better after the Paris portion).
3) Tristan and Yates: The more I think about it, the more there’s no doubt in my mind that things between them will become inappropriate. I guess a better question is, how do you want this storyline to play out? I’d kind of like to see it be consensual at first, but then when Tristan tries to get out, Yates uses his power and authority to intimidate Tristan into staying in a relationship.