BfFanbKCEAAijR1.jpg large

So it’s here, Degrassi returns tonight at 9pm ET on MTV Canada and TeenNick.  It hasn’t really hit me yet two of the big changes in formality that 13C is bringing.  First off, Degrassi is moving to Tuesdays in the weekly format for the first time since the TNG days (season 6 I think).  Also, 13C is slated to be 14 episodes, in other words it’ll be nearly as long as 13A and 13B combined.  If I can remember correctly this will be the longest weekly block schedule ever, a long way from that 4-week block The-N had back in 2004.

Regardless of whatever nonsense extreme naysayers may be preaching (keyword there being extreme), I highly doubt that Degrassi moving to Tuesdays is an indication that the show is going to certainly be canceled at the end of season 13, and I also don’t believe that Epitome suddenly churning out its own promos is a desperation move to attract fleeting viewers (as a matter of fact, Epitome doing its own marketing in this fashion is something they should’ve already been doing years ago).

With all of that said, genuine concerns about the show and its future are still quite valid.  It’s safe to say fans are pretty much on the same page in terms of how we feel about the show at this point, even as we hear things about what’s to come in 13C:

Season 13 has been disappointing so far, but as always I’m cautious yet hopeful, even more so because this is going to be a LONG block.  It simply can’t afford to be as forgettable as the first two.  The biggest concern for me are the Tenners.  I remember when the Niners (Maya/Zig/Tristan/Tori) came onto the scene, and instantly made a positive impact on the show.  That group has shuffled quite a bit since then, and this season it seems like all that’s been happening is them engaged in a giant romantic orgy, spinning a wheel of abuse where everyone takes turns hurting each other.  This is where we can only hope Zoë’s  storyline in 13C will be a devastating game changer for this group.

If ever there were a 180 on my opinion of a storyline, it’d be Alli and Leo.  The “pinnacle,” as Stefan puts it, should happen tonight.  It’s not hard to figure out how this will all play out, but it still has me invested far more than any storyline this season so far.

On a side note, I’ve always strived to churn out reviews on the nights the episodes air. I’m not exactly sure why I do it, considering I’m not accredited media (I am in real life, but not in terms of this blog), and the real media outlets that cover Degrassi don’t bother writing recaps or anything with any kind of regularity.  But with Degrassi moving to Tuesdays that puts my same-night reviews in jeopardy because of my schedule.  I’m busy on Tuesday nights and I can guarantee there will be nights where I simply won’t be home in time to watch Degrassi live.  That in itself is probably a good thing, because it’s very easy to get caught up in the “hype” of #DegrassiTuesday and get caught up reading whatever dramatic arguments the declining fandom may be involved in on social media that night.

I will still post promos/etc on Tuesday nights, but I’ll be posting my reviews of the episodes on Wednesdays.  Here’s to hoping Degrassi 13C is a good one!  Use the comments section to discuss before and after the episode, and hopefully I’ll be able to jump into the conversation too.

1. I just hope that degrassi can get it’s self together and not be as bad as the first part of season 13. I was highly disapointed with that,and I am hoping that it isnt just about love and maybe it could be some actual drama

2. Can someone please tell me what happened in the last few minutes of the show, after alli/Leo got married?i had to leave the tv for a second and I didn’t catch it. Thanks!

1. leo hurt alli and went home and her parents saw and she said she got mugged and they called the cops. maya and zig presented and zig made fun of her so she called him out and said the only reason why he was troubled was because she broke his heart and he stormed out of the class

3. didnt like this episode at all but it looked like it was just used to get the plots moving. hopefully it will pick up next week. They really should just start labeling as two parts again

1. I enjoyed the Alli/Leo stuff. Him brutally attacking her showed the show at least knows they need to kick things up a notch, because that scene easily could’ve been predictable old Degrassi if they’d settle for just him slapping her a round a bit. The Drew stuff I understood because it’s piling on his insecurity. Maya/Zig I’m not too sure about, I’m worried that it’ll once again turn into Maya being involved in yet another love triangle of sorts.

4. Yes actually a lot happened. It lead up to everything. Leo hurt Alli and left her on the road in tears. On another note Maya and Zig presented and Zig made fun of her and she said to the whole class he was there because “a girl broke his heart and he can’t get over it like a normal person” so then he left. Back with Alli she went home to her family Clare n Jenna. Her parents saw her bruised face and said they have to find who did it. She lied saying she got mugged. The end. Your welcome.

5. That was so Hailee knew what happened

6. wow the promo on the website looks good tho

7. Thank you all:) I didn’t expect such a fast reply but thanks!!! One question, why did Leo beat up alli? What was their fight about? Or maybe I should say: what set him off?

8. Just seen the episode and to be quite honest it’s a mixed bag for me. The Alli stuff was good and I’ll admit that Drew’s plot was decent even though I have to admit that its’ continuation into the next episode doesn’t look exciting in my opinion.

But man the Maya/Zig stuff was stupid. After Zig’s character has been featured in one episode during this season, THIS is how the writers utilize him? By throwing him into the Tenner orgy instead of say giving us some backstory as to why he sells drugs now. The majority of Season 13’s problems lies in the Tenners and seeing this plot just screamed that the writers have no idea how to use Maya and just throw her another love interest. What’s more foolish is that in the next episode, she’s going goth? Please…this is a prime example of what happens when Degrassi tries too hard to have a leading lady (for reference, look at Katie Matlin’s character in Season 11)

9. Does anyone actually know what the actual rubber room/rubber kids is supposed to be about/represent?
    Forgive me if I’m just being slow.

1. When I heard that I assumed it meant like a remedial class but I have no idea if that is what it actually means haha

10. The thing I was most excited about in this episode was seeing Zig and Maya interact. They have a lot of history between them and Degrassi just smoothed over the fact that they were almost a thing. For a moment it seemed like Degrassi had forgot about it all together. That being said, I am very interested in seeing what happens in part 2 with Zig and Maya. The Alli/Leo stuff was good but I could not imagine getting married under those circumstances! I was really hoping Alli would come to her senses and wouldn’t go through with it. Plus when Leo left her on the side of the ride….! Are you serious!!!!!! Yeah, he’s a real keeper all right. Drew’s plot was blah. It was just him being insecure which is perfectly normal considering the Bianca thing ended and all. It just wasn’t as engaging compared to the other plots.

11. The Alli/Leo plot was so much better than it was in the earlier blocks. I was honestly so jarred when he slapped her and then proceeded to punch and slam her into the car door. I didn’t expect to see it, tbh.

I’m pretty over Drew/Clare at this point, but you have to admit they have quite a bit of chemistry (not romantically), so their banter is great. It didn’t bore me, but I don’t care much to see their romance anymore.

Zig/Maya is so confusing. On one hand, I understand why Zig might be mad at Maya after she promised she would try to be with him once her feelings with the Cam situation settled; but Maya’s “because some girl broke your heart” line was so out of place. I feel like the obvious path to go would be to give Zig an A plot and have his backstory sorted out; it opens an opportunity, perhaps, for the Cam issue to be addressed. Miles has no idea about Cam; Zig’s plot could be a great way to introduce that. Zig could still be harbouring guilt for what happened and in addition to being not very well off, it might explain why he’s selling drugs. Of course, Degrassi probably won’t go with this route and throw Maya in another predictable love triangle that no one cares about.

1. I really didn’t feel bad for Zig at all. What he pulled was ridiculous and unnecessary. He gets insulted because Maya did the same thing that he just did to her. Maya never actually agreed to date Zig, and shouldn’t have to date him because he wants her to. She isn’t romantically obligated to him at all.

1. If you like someone, they say “I’m not ready for a relationship” yet also lead you to believe something could happen in the future, of course you’re going to be hurt if they start dating someone else out of nowhere. However, Zig’s behavior in this episode was unacceptable, and he really does come off as a bitter jerk who can’t move on.

12. I think I might be alone in this but I actually enjoyed the Zig/Maya plot. Maybe it’s cause we’ve waited a thousand episodes to finally see him in a major plot but I was excited. The Alli plot is finally getting exciting, it’s taken a long for it to pick up & now I am actually looking forward to the episode. Clare & Drew is meh but. Question though, did I miss something? When did Zig start selling drugs?lol