It's Spencer Van Wyck's birthday!!! But he's sad because there's nothing happening in the Degrassi fandom.

Oh hey look at this, it’s a Degrassi news post that has no actual Degrassi news! So sit back and watch as I talk about nothing for the next 5 minutes.

Since yesterday lots American fans have been freaking out over the fact that the Degrassi special is going to air in Canada before it does in the U.S. (it airs Monday, October 24 at 9pm on MuchMusic).  I’ve been rolling my eyes ever since…it’s not like the episodes aired in Canada first for the first 9 seasons of the show or anything.

I’m from the “download generation,” so it’s no big deal to me. In the earlier seasons there were HUGE gaps in the times between when CTV would air episodes and when The-N would air them (mainly because The-N was insistent on breaking up the seasons into mini seasons).  Downloading the episodes was a must if you wanted to keep up with the show.

But if you refuse to download the episode for whatever reason and wait until TeenNick airs to watch it, the concern about being spoiled is legitimate. Basically you’re screwed…you will not be able to go onto twitter or tumblr until TeenNick airs it because it WILL be spoiled for you.

No one’s said anything yet, but common sense says TeenNick will air it on either Friday October 28th or on Monday the 31st.  Also, on the 24th MuchMusic will debut it’s new 30-minute series “My Time @”  at 10pm right after the Degrassi special.  In this episode Much VJ Lauren Toyota goes behind the scenes at Degrassi.

*************************

So some guy wrote an article about teen shows where characters made the transition to college, and Degrassi was listed.  The last paragraph he wrote about Degrassi made me laugh because it’s so true:

“A show like “Degrassi” can go on basically forever as they just cycle through new kids entering high school while keeping a few regulars around (like Drake coaching the girls basketball team, Spinner working at the Dot). No one cared about the kids in university, though, and they weren’t on the show for very much longer.”

**************************

In general TeenNick news, they are moving their 2-hour “The 90s Are All That” block up…starting this Friday it’ll air from 10pm – midnight (with the replay midnight – 2am).  CLICK HERE for details on the lineup.

This is a smart move on their part, but at the same time I still want to strangle TeenNick…WHY DIDN’T THEY DO THIS SOONER???? You know, when the network’s highest-rated show was running 4 days a week, and you could’ve had a very strong 3-hour block of programming in your primetime lineup 5 nights a week. It’s both a blessing and a curse that Degrassi is on a network that loves to waste its potential.

************************

If this Degrassi hiatus we’ve been on since the end of Now Or Never is any indication, we are going to be royal screwed in November/December/Early January…it will be completely dead in Degrassiland.  What I’m gonna try to do during that period is FINALLY start reviewing episodes from the earlier seasons.  All I can say is don’t be surprised if you see a lot of episode grade changes, even if just slightly (grades are never really set in stone). And I can finally go about adding grades for the subplots too.

1. I suddenly feel like drinking orange soda.

2. “I’ve been rolling my eyes ever since…it’s not like the episodes aired in Canada first for the first 9 seasons of the show or anything.”

Bahaha, truth. It’s not like people don’t already upload the episodes immediately after they air as well. The only one that really loses out here is TeenNick… but it’s not like that channel has ever been very smart with its programming.

This hiatus is seriously killing me though… I’m following for four fall season shows just to get by. I’m honestly surprised we’ve barely heard anything plot-wise for the second half of S11 or even just the Halloween special yet. I like being kept in the dark for once, but Stephen Stohn, throw us a bone, pleaaase.

3. maybe im a bad fan but degrassi was so ridiculous in the past (im 25 so literally the beginning) with when it showed id honestly forget about it and then one day think “hey wasnt there supposed to be a new episode of that?” and go searching online for the new eps…im pretty sure thats what will be happening again …(run on sentence :))

its possible the new fangirl trend will keep me interested but right now its kind of ruining it for me.. i liked my “underground canadian teen drama” that i never knew when a new ep was gonna be on! I’m nostalgic, so for right now im ok with this wonderment

4. KARY YOUR FRACKIN AWESOME!
    DANCE TIME ^^
    \(.__.\) (/^ . ^)/ \( >.< |) (/ *0*)/ \( $_$)/ \(@_@\) (/ + .+)/ \( o_o)/ Y( ^ _ ^)Y

5. Sam Earle’s (K.C.) birthday was yesterday too btw. :-D

1. Do you know his age? ( mmm cheeze itz ) XD

6. Can’t wait for your earlier episode reviews/grades, those are always fun & enlightening to read. Well, guess I’ll be catching that Degrassi special on my computer :]

7. HAPPY BITHDAY SPENCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SO BASICALLY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE,IF LIKE LAST YEAR THE SCHEDULE WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

THIS MONTH – 1 NEW EPISODE AND A POSSIBLE PROMO FOR 2012 SEASON
    NOVEMBER – TUMBLEWEEDS & THE START OF US GETTING NEW NEWS SLOWLY BUT SURELY
    DECEMBER – TUMBLEWEEDS
    JANUARY – TUMBLEWEEDS
    FEBRUARY – 1 NEW EPISODE AND A PROMO
    MARCH – TUMBLEWEEDS AND NEWS STARTS TO POUR LIKE FIONA’S BOTTTLE
    APRIL – 4 NEW EPISODES THRU OUT THE MONTH AND A PROMO
    MAY – TUMBLEWEEDS
    JUNE- TUMBLEWEEDS AND A PROMO
    JULY – 7 WEEK BLOCK

*SNIFFS SOME CRAIG AND DRINKS SOME FIONA UNTIL WE GET OFFICIAL NEWS*

9. TeenNick is missing out on HUGE potential by not doing something to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the first episode of TNG on 10/14. Can you believe it’s already been 10 years?

They should at least re-air the first 2 episodes since that launched the 2nd generation of the franchise. They could have also caught up with the 4 main kids we first met that episode, as well as Spike, Snake, Joey and Caitlin and air little interstitial clips between commercials.

I realize it didn’t technically air in the US until 9 months later, but for the most part, they try to keep the episodes as close together now.

10. Stephen Stohn recently revealed via Twitter that TeenNick will be airing Nowhere To Run in November -.- On the brightside, this increases our chances for a decent Degrassi In 2012 promo after the special has ended.

11. Ok I like stopped watching becuz I got really fed up with the show. Nothing seems realistic anymore. I may try watching again… But I’m not going to freak out and be like I have to see every episode. I’ll probably end up watching only like 5 episodes total… Not that great of a show anymore…