uhhh...lol

Ok so enough people have asked me this to where I can answer it in a blog post: Kary, do you hate Mia and Peter?  I’ll answer it the long way by saying what I think of each character, then what I think of them as a couple.

Mia

I don’t really hate Mia, but she sure does a good job of pissing me off.  This is partly her fault, as well as the fault of the writers.  The frustration all comes from how her daughter Isabella is dealt with.  Mia is obviously more concerned with being popular and “living like a teenager” instead of taking care of her daughter.  Sorry, but you gave up your right to be a teen and have fun all the time when you gave it up to Lucas.

And of course when the writing team wants to do something cool with Mia (something like give her a fancy sendoff) they can completely disregard Izzy’s existence altogether.  Or just work it so that Mia’s mom is the one taking care of things.  Why even bother making Mia a teen mom in the first place?

Peter

I used to hate Peter.  That was a BIG used to.  I hated him mainly during season 5 and part of season 6, where it felt like they really didn’t know what direction they wanted to go with him.  Was he supposed to be a bad guy? Or were we supposed to feel sorry for him?

I’ll get straight to the point: Darcy is the reason I started liking him.  She was the best thing to ever happen to him.  Even though Darcy is gone, I think I like him more now than I did back then.  He’s just been a really humble character since his drug usage made him lose almost everything.

Mia and Peter

They are the most contrived couple in history.  Mia and Peter were blantly thrown together as a couple way too fast, and even as a couple they didn’t really do anything.  While Peter was still communicating with Darcy while she was in Africa, and even after he stopped it was too hard for me to believe that Peter’s heart was really in it with Mia.

I feel like the writers put them together because Mia and Peter were two of the main characters of the show at that time.  The main clique of Season 8? Peter, Mia, Sav, Anya and Danny (the guys were best friends and the girls were BFFs too, but I don’t count Leia because she never really made it “in” with the group that season).  Mia and Peter were a couple of convenience.

1. I really like these kinds of posts. You should do them more often:p

1. yeah, i agree!

2. Yes! I think you’ve summed up quite well the problems with Mia (what a waste of possible storylines, making her a teen mom and then trying to ignore that little detail) and with Mia/Peter. I think I mostly agree with your Peter thoughts as well (at least the Darcy part).

Great post… and great picture. :)

3. Yeah keep doing post like this. They help explain why you rate certain episodes low like the first two parter of season 9. Its true tho why doesnt mia take care of her kid. She just wants to have fun and be a model.

4. Peter & Darcy have become my favorite couple, aside from Sean & Emma (I’m a sucker for bad boy/good girl.) So I totally agree about Peter & Mia. I felt she was really bitchy with him – like he had to be into her & no one else- completely disregarding Darcy. She got so hurt when she found out he still loved Darcy – how could he not? Darcy was his first and someone who completely changed him. She taught him how to really appreciate a woman – and he probably didn’t even realize she was doing it. If Pia were to work as a couple I think Mia needed to more stable – in the sense that she’d be mature enough to understand that he can love her (Mia) but that doesn’t mean he’s ever going to completely be over Darcy.

I did like Pia in Money for Nothing, when Peter comforts her about what Holly J told the media. I think that was their only cute moment. Other than that, Mia just made me miss Darcy all the more.

5. I loved Mia before season 8, idk if you guys watch 16 & Pregnent or Teen Mom, but one of the girls remind me of Mia. The girl named Farrah who has a daughter but constantly focuses on boy. I never liked Peter and never will.

6. i used to love mia, but i hate how they kept totally reinventing her character in each season. season 6: she was actually a decent mom and her storyline was mostly involving isabella. then season 7: wanting to be a normal teen but still caring about isabella. and then season 8: instead of being the teen mom, shes the model and Peter’s girlfriend and the writers just completely ignored the fact that she was still a teen mom and just had her mother take care of isabella.

1. mhmm…they changed a lot about her and left out i think details or just went ahead, skipped.

7. Mia was amazing in Season 6. I thought that was her best. Season 7 wasn’t so bad. She tried to fit in, but still chose her child over anything. In Season 8, her character was completely demolished. I thought of her as being a slut for sleeping with that guy in the Season 8 opener. The writers completely destroyed her in Season 8. It was to the point where I found her character annoying and hated her. I was glad when she left in Season 9. Peter and her were never a believable couple anyway.

1. i really only liked her season 7, season 6 she annoyed me w/ jt and season 8 they did a total 180 and it backfired, and she was okay for the season 9 premiere

1. She was trying too hard in Season 7 to make friends and be liked.

8. I HATE Mia and Peter as a couple. I think Peter is OK, but I absolutely HATE Mia. She is definitely my least favorite Degrassi character, beating Ashley, which is pretty bad because i used to hate Ashley! It just drives me crazy how much of a slut Mia is! You would think that after having a baby at 13 she would stop being so slutty, but she doesn’t! And then she goes and tries to act like she’s all innocent. Gah I hate her!

1. Like Kary said, peter is okay now but peter used to be a spoiled
      donkey butt. Like the time he got that expensive car and when he put drugs in Sean’s locker. He got away with with it until Manny turned the light bulb on in Emma’s head.

When Mia come back she will have to get to know her daughter
      again. so the kid won’t her mother for awhile and who know’s
      when she will see her father Lucas.

9. im agreeing with you 100%
    ive always had issues with mia every since that whole thing happened between liberty and jt and mia. she just i couldnt bring myself to like her
    and like it was hard not to like peter especially if you liked manny but as soon as him an darcy hit it off i was in love with the 2 of them, they were perfect.

but mia and peter were completely pointless. stupis. peter was so much better than mia. it was like we jsut began ot like peter again and then he prove to be heartless by immediatley hoking up with mis after darcy leaves.

so yes, i pretty much do “hate mia”
    i hate how i cant make up my mind about peter
    and the day mia left for modeling, i couldnt have been happier.
    cant wait to see who peter ends up with…

is it pathetic of me to still think that darcy will hate the CW and come home back to degrassi….

10. I love Mia and Peter they are my all time favorite couple just beating HollyJ and Declan and She an and Ellie.I like how they just seem to get each other and how Peter for gives Mia for sleeping with Tom Blake and Peter for being well an idiot and telling her he still loved Darcy.Also besides Mia and Peter was my favorite characters before they got together!

11. i am the only one who noticed that when darcy left she said “i’m only going for one semester”? so, really, she should be back by now! (of course, shenae grimes is probably never coming back)

1. The silly thing is they knew Shenae was leaving for good when they filmed that episode, but they still decided to let Darcy say “oh I’ll only be gone for a semester…” lol. Gotta love plotholes :-p

1. exactly….i wonder if she or nina will ever make at least one more guest appearance. weird. nice post! i agree. i dont like them together either…it was forced and she was really bitchy…and there was mos def no chemistry. I didnt really ever like Mia except maybe in season 7. in season 6 she was really boring and dry. i always kinda liked peter, he was cool. I liked Mia from season 7 until mid season 8…when she was with peter. she got mean or something. lol.

12. I don’t like them together! It was obvious Peter wouldn’t love Mia more then he loved Darcy. Before he believably said he loved her he had to think she could have been held hostage in The Dot.
    But don’t blame me that I may have thought Piley (Peter/Riley) could have happened. Right from the start Peter and Riley connected. It turned out not to be in a love way but still. With Mia it was just a hook up then she kind of pushed him for something more. Yeah they were into each bother for a while but it still wasn’t as strong as his other relationships.

13. You know, am i the ONLY one who thinks the whole peter/riley situation ISN’T over??? Kary? Care to elaborate on this?

14. Okay, mia was AWESOME, and i think you guys are pretty much being a little bit of a bitch right now!

1. I totally agree with you Rockerboy!! Calm down people!!

15. I really hate Peter because… Peter is one big idiot. I dont understand how you take drugs over one girl. Mia… I have nothing to say about her she is just fake and she is really STUPiD to have a child at 13. When she started to be a model and she acted really crazy and she acted like she was al that… But she wasn’t.

16. I totally agree I really disliked Mia and Peter, and pretty much I Mia altogether. But I think I probly would have liked her more if they would have made her relationshio with Lucas last longer, that relationship had a point. Her relationship with peter was really whiney. and her exit of the show was sooooo predictable I wish they would have had her leave for a reason concerning her daughter it would have made it 100% more believable. I really hope seaosn 10 deals with issues that made us LOVE degrassi in the first place. I think they need to have another Craig plotline (abuse at home). Great post

-Paige

17. I really liked Peter and Mia as a couple. In the beginning i didn’t really like peter but then he started to date Mia so i began warming up to him. Since season 6 when she started on the show she has been my favorite character. Yeah she had a child at 13 but so what? She needs a life of her own to but needed to spend her time equally between doing stuff she likes and taking care of Isabella. Overall Mia and Peter i thought were great. When Mia left, i wish that they would have had a better exit for than they had. That would have made the episode a lot better!!

18. Omg i seriously agree. Peter needs to stay with Darcy! I liked them as a couple, they were so sweet. Mia and lucas, i liked them so much but why in the world does lucas have to say it’s not his child! That is so stupid, he only thinks of himself. Jane was so right but to be honest i wish mia and lucas stayed together. They just have this thing together that i liked. I wish they have more episodes of mia and lucas probably trying to work things out or a flash black to what happened when she got pregnant, you know. I think the degrassi writers took this couple a little too fast. As you can see i am such a mia and lucas fan! :) Too bad i won’t probably see this couple together again ):

19. Wow, most of you are so damn rude and critical.
    I liked Mia in the series, stop complaining that she’s “stupid” because it’s Degrassi… every character has Downs Syndrome!

She owns up to all her mistakes. And she is a good mom in the series. Did we forget why she tried so hard with modeling? HER DAUGHTER.

What teenager doesn’t make a load of mistakes with boys? What teenager doesn’t have priority problems? Hell, I get that she had a baby so young but it’s reality guys. Younger girls always get taken advantage of by older boys. That doesn’t make her slutty, that makes her normal in our society sadly. You guys are all so in love with Darcy, but she’s horrible in my eyes! She’s overly religious, hypocritical, and that “holyer than thou” attitude gets to me so much. Wanna talk about slut? She tried to seduce a teacher, then lied about it and ruined his career.

I thought Peter and Mia were good for eachother.
    She helped him get over Darcy, and helped him grow up a lot. Darcy did work on his personality a little, but then she up and left on him with only a DAYS notice. Mia had plans to take him with her until the drug use came into play.

I think yall are hating on her because of how pretty she is (as comes naturally to most girls), I’m surprised I didn’t join in. But I can relate to her too much to do so. She tries really hard to make things better for her and her family, but like most of us she chooses the wrong ways to do it and things usually don’t go in her favor.

20. […] the question “Do I Hate Peter and Mia?”. This is a link to it, it’s pretty short: https://degrassiblog.com/2010/01/10/do-i-hate-peter-and-mia/ When it comes to Mia, he pretty much says that he doesn’t like how she’s more concerned […]