UPDATE 11/11, 3:47pm: Kodak has confirmed that they have NOT pulled their ads from Degrassi…it was just a normal pause in their media schedule. SMDH, Florida Family Association. Thanks to Beth, Chief Listener at Kodak, for clearing things up on here as well as twitter:
Our new ‘So Kodak’ advertising campaign, featuring Rihanna, Trey Songz, Pitbull and Drake (who–we know!–started his career on Teen Nick), will continue to run on Degrassi. What you’re seeing is a planned pause in our media schedule. We’ll be back on next week, so keep an eye out for us!
Chief Listener at kodak
The Sunshine State News is reporting that the FFA (Florida Family Association) said Kodak has pulled its sponsorship and ads from Degrassi after the group launched an e-mail campaign pressuring the company:
The Florida Family Association (FFA) claimed another victory on Wednesday when David Caton announced that, after receiving e-mails from FFA members, Kodak pulled the plug on sponsoring “DeGrassi: The Next Generation” on Teen Nick. The FFA targeted DeGrassi due to, as Caton put it in an e-mail sent out on Oct. 27 to his supporters, the show “targets teens with gay propaganda and other immoral behavior.” (source: Sunshine State News)
Now, there’s several things I need to clear up before I continue…
*NO, Degrassi is not going to get canceled because of this situation.
*NO, Degrassi is not going to be taken off the air in Florida.
It’s still not OFFICIAL as to whether or not Kodak has pulled it’s sponsorship because neither Kodak nor TeenNick have publicly stated whether this has actually happened. The reason the group is claiming their e-mail campaign was successful is because the group couldn’t find any instance of Kodak advertising during Degrassi over the past week.
Now, a little bit about the Florida Family Association (Taken directly from their website):
Florida Family Association is an organization that is made up of THOUSANDS OF SUPPORTERS across America who share in the same goal of improving America’s moral environment.
Florida Family Association’s mission statement in our IRS approved 501C3 application is to: Educate people on what they can do to defend, protect and promote traditional, biblical values.
In other words, they believe it’s THEIR job to tell US what’s morally right/wrong, and they use their “biblical values” to justify intolerance. Basically, they’re against homosexuality and anything sex related in the media, and ask people who support their beliefs to bombard companies and advertisers with e-mails.
Their website is as much propaganda as they claim Degrassi promotes. Their anti-Degrassi page (which you can view here) is so intentionally misleading that it’s disgusting. As a matter of fact, I’m gonna go through that page here so you can see for yourself:
1) TEENNICK SHOW TARGETS TEENS WITH GAY PROPAGANDA AND OTHER IMMORAL BEHAVIOR, PLEASE SEND E-MAIL TO ADVERTISERS
The TeenNick channel is airing the show DeGrassi: The Next Generation which is loaded with high risk behavior. The theme of DeGrassi revolves around Riley Stavros, the high school football team’s first string quarterback and his homosexual lifestyle.
HERE IS DEGRASSI QUARTERBACK RILEY STAVROS ON ONE OF HIS MANY SEXUAL CONQUESTS.
**Now I don’t know about you guys, but I was completely unaware that Degrassi revolved around Riley. And Peter is one of his “homosexual conquests?!?!” It’s just so obvious from the beginning that these people have NEVER even watched this show.
* Became friends with Peter; tried to kiss him
* Hooked up with an old camp friend in the woods
* Tried steroids; injured Sav in a violent rage; stopped taking them
* Had a crush on his openly gay swim coach, Sam
* Punched Sam when Sam tried to talk to him about being gay
* Was told by Sam that he doesn’t have to come out until he’s ready
* Confided in Peter that he’s not “confused”; he’s gay
* Confided in Anya that he’s gay after she caught him checking out Zane at yoga
* Went on a date with Zane, but abandoned him to a security guard when they got caught trespassing on a construction site
* With Peter’s encouragement, went to an LGBT mixer at Above the Dot to find Zane
* Went up against Sean in a street race that ended with a pedestrian being hit
* Framed Sean for drug possession, sent him to jail, lost Emma forever
* Took sexy pictures of Darcy, posted them on the Internet against her will
* Secretly dated Darcy
* Was kissed by Riley, but kept it to himself and stayed friends with him
* Became addicted to meth
* Stole narcotics and sold them to make money for the new baby
* ODed on drugs from stress brought on by the above, leading to Liberty dumping him
* Stabbed to death by Lakehurst thugs at a party